In this video I have explained in brief about water soluble vitamin biotin. I have touched upon biological functions, enzymes, causes for deficiency and deficiency manifestations.
Biotin is widely available vitamin. it is also significantly synthesized in the intestine by bacterial flora. main function of biotin is it acts as a CO2 carrier for carboxylase enzymes in carboxylation reactions.
Four carboxylases needs biotin as their coenzyme, they are:
- acetyl CoA carboxylase
- pyruvate carboxylase
- propionyl CoA carboxylase
- methylcrotonyl CoA carboxylase
- Prolonged use of antibiotics (which kill bacterial flora)
- Prolonged use of anticonvulsants (interfere with absorption)
- Consumption of raw egg white (avidin binding with biotin).
- Biotidinase deficiency (decreased recycling).
Multiple carboxylase deficiency leads to dermatitis, alopecia, diarrhea, opportunistic infections like fungal infection, and central nervous system signs like confusion, depression.
You can follow my YouTube video in the following link:
For More of My Videos Please Visit My YouTube Channel Here
You can follow my Facebook page Biochemistry Made Easy by Dr Prakash Mungli, MD by clicking the link below. Here I post USMLE step-1 style MCQs and you can participate in discussion.
For My Facebook Page to get Almost Daily Biochemistry Questions Please Visit Here