Let me introduce myself to you!!

My photo
St. Kitts & Nevis
I'm a physician doctor with an MD degree. My passion for teaching has always been appreciated by students with whom I have shared my knowledge. I'm a passionate teacher of medical biochemistry and would like to share my knowledge about this beautiful subject with all those who is interested to learn to understand the cellular metabolic events and to understand the metabolic disease process. I would like to learn new things by keeping myself updated with current research in the field. Let us share the knowledge each other!!

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Vitamin K - High Yield Review



In this video I have explained all the high yield points about vitamin K. I have explained the sources of vitamin K1 phylloquinone, vitamin K2 menaquinone, vitamin K3 menadione. The major sources are green leafy vegetables like spinach, significant source of vitamin K is bacterial flora. Main function of vitamin K is post translational carboxylation of glutamate to make gla. Clotting factors activation, activation of protein C and protein S, matrix gla proteins, osteocalcin in osteobalsts. Vitamin K helps in clotting process, bone health, preventing atherosclerosis and thrombosis. Vitamin K deficiency can lead to hemorrhagic disease of newborn or excess bleeding adults. 

No comments: